Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yuck

Well, that's just about all I can say about today -- yuck.  I had one of those classroom days that is just a disaster -- my computer (without which I can't teach) wouldn't fire up; I tried everything and then in desperation, a hard reboot by removing the battery -- twice.  Once it decided to come on and load Windows, the projection was askew, in the sense that half of the powerpoint was off the side of the screen, not visible.  I had to call a tech person one day to fix that (I thought somehow the projector had gotten knocked off balance), and she said the problem was that I needed to refresh my desktop -- who would have thought that?  So I did that today -- nothing.  I did it again and rebooted -- nothing.  Still askew.  I decided we'd have to live with it.  Then the powerpoint wouldn't advance to the next slide, either with the remote or with me walking over to the computer and pushing the button. 

I was about ready to call it a day (five minutes after the class started), but forged on and wished I hadn't.  Four weeks before the end of the semester, half the class was absent, and the other half wasn't talking -- it happens, I blame myself, but that doesn't make it easier.  I wound up letting everyone go a few minutes early, and all I can do is hope that next time is better.

So I got home and decided to do something for Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday.  Pretty much the only thing that came out well today.  Some nice ranunculi, using her "Sweet Treat" and "Silence" textures.  Thanks, Kim, for giving a lift to my day.

    [Linkup to Texture Tuesday]

Tomorrow has to be better.

17 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Sounds like a frustrating day, but your photo is beautiful. I'm going to take one of Kim's classes soon, to learn more about playing with my photos! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comment about the Ideas House! I am a new follower...

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much, Linda -- I took two of Kim's classes and learned a lot.

 gmirage said...

Doesn't show in the photo how bad of a day it was...pretty, the textures gave it a warm feeling. Enjoy your week!

-http://gmirage.com/2011/04/17/texture-1/

Unknown said...

I love ranunculus and this is wonderful. I could watch it the whole day:)

Katy Noelle said...

Oh, Elise..... good morning, into your next day and the pendulum ALWAYS swings the other way (eventually=O). We're cheering you on!

Kim Klassen said...

oh the bad days.... 'sigh' so frustrating....

but this image is truly beautiful.....
LOVE.

thank you for linking up with Texture Tuesday....xxo, kim

julochka said...

stupid windows computers...why don't you have a mac? i thought universities were all macs all the time? i can highly recommend them (always trying to convert everyone to my religion - appleism). :-)

the flower is indeed beautiful. it's great how photography can redeem an otherwise crappy day.

i hope it gets better!

:-)
/julie

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone -- julie, many profs have Macs, but the university as a whole is PC. I love my laptop, but it's seen hard, daily use for the past two years, and it may just be getting tired, or as is most often the case, it's operator error of some kind.

Ms. Becky said...

one good thing about bad days is they do come to an end. your photo is beautiful. very nice texturing!

paperbird said...

i am sorry that you had a bad day but your image is lovely! i hope tomorrow is better :-)

Tara said...

I hope you have a better day tomorrow! I LOVE LOVE your capture...gorgeous!

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh, I know how these days go!!
I had a string of them this semester, and since finals are right around the corner, I can expect at least one or two more! :-(
Your work on this photograph is just beautiful!

Gale Wall said...

Glad your day ended on a pretty note, err photo.

Lesley said...

You turned your day around with this beautiful creation! Lovely work, the textures suit the ranunculous so well.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone -- yesterday was *marginally* better.

hootnonny said...

These ranunculus brightened my day!
Hope the week's gone better for you!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much! It has.