Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Perfect Moment

With every passing year, my memory grows ever more frail.  In class, I regularly reach for a word that is obviously nowhere near the tip of my tongue . . . and it's gone.  Old friends will say, "Remember when we . . . " or "It was so funny when . . . " and I'll have no idea of what they're talking about.  I will say to my Loved One, "Did I ask you whether you put the garbage out, or did I just think it?" and half the time I've only thought it.

 [Linkup to LEM Challenge and Texture Twist]

At the same time, some memories are so wonderful that they persist forever, memories of an absolutely perfect moment in your life.  This comes from about 1971 (of course I have no exact memory of the year).  I was visiting the Berkshires -- my boyfriend lived in New York, and I in Boston, so we would meet in the Berkshires at his  mother's house.  We went to a farewell concert of the Youngbloods at Tanglewood (I think it was Tanglewood).  But here's what I remember precisely:  It was a glorious day, sunny and warm.  We were relaxing on a blanket with our friends.  We had picked up sandwiches from Take Out Alice (the Alice from Alice's Restaurant had by that point closed her restaurant and opened up a takeout place) -- they were pot roast sandwiches, on rolls that were dusted with flour on the top, and horseradish -- I have never forgotten the taste of that sandwich, eaten outdoors on a beautiful day.  And of course, we had the preferred drink of the time -- Boone's Farm Apple Wine (no one drank real wine in those days).

And when Jesse Colin Young began singing "Sunlight," the moment became a perfect one that I would never forget.  The boy I was with  (I'm sure he was a man, but from this vantage point, he was a boy) --  I was crazy about him, the delicious sandwiches and wine, the beautiful day and that song . . . it all combined to create a moment that I will remember until I leave this earth.

Listen to it through your headphones, it's gorgeous.  What's one of your perfect moments?

 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your Texture Twist!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, Kristy --

Ms. Becky said...

I love your recounting of a perfect moment. I wish I could recall one of my own - it's happening to me too, the memory thing. I'm sure I have them, but they need to be triggered, if you know what I mean. I wish I had one of those sandwiches too....

Nancy said...

I have a few of those memories tucked away - and a song will undoubtedly trigger a smell, a sight, a touch.

Love the song and your photo is amazing. :)

Amarie said...

What a beautiful memory! I have some of those, the ones you'll never lose. It's like you can close your eyes, and transport yourself right into that point and time. Thanks so much for your visit. :-)

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone --

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous - your work is wonderful!! I love the texture and color here...

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much, Linda -- I think we have a mutual admiration society ;)

Anonymous said...

thank you for this post. very beautiful.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much --

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the share.
This is a very good post.
Limo Atlanta