Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Year of the Artist

I've been taking pictures for 4-1/2 years, working hard at it, learning a lot along the way.  Last year, when they had Open Studios here in Santa Cruz, I went around to see artists who were manipulating photographs.  I realized, as I looked at what they were doing, that these people knew a lot more about art than I do, so I declared it the "Year of the Artist" for me, a year in which I would learn more about different kinds of art.  I have never done any kind of art in my life (well, photography is an art), so this is just huge for me.  Starting in January, I have


  • taken two drawing classes at community college, one on charcoals and the other on pastels; 
  • attended a workshop on watercolor journaling; 
  • bought myself some watercolors and just started painting;
  • got a sketch book and began doing exercises in it;  

  • taken a four-Saturday course on "Expressive Botanical Illustration";  
  • now I'm taking an online course on art journaling; and
  • signed up for a watercolor course that starts in a couple of weeks.
 Whew!  I'm really having a good time.  While not all the activities have been equally fun or enlightening, a lot of them have been, and I've been enjoying myself immensely.



This online art journaling class I'm doing is great -- highly recommended.  Christy Tomlinson is the teacher, and she's great -- she has good credentials in the field and the series is very professionally done -- this week, we got 28 videos to watch!  


This week has been all about materials of different kinds, and I've been at the art store every day.  She's shown us so many different kinds of things you can use, and of course I wanted to get a couple of each of them -- pan pastels, inks, pens and markers of various kinds, acrylic paints, on and on.  I am enjoying the heck out of myself.

I don't know whether anything I'm doing is "good," and I really don't care -- I am just having big fun playing around with something I've steered clear of my whole life and discovering that maybe there's something of an artist inside . . . I'm going to keep on this journey and see where it takes me.  How about you?  What artsy activities do you do?  (Yes, I know, photography . . . )

14 comments:

Margaret said...

"good' truly is in the eye of the beholder! I think you are a woman after my own heart as I to LOVE to draw and have ventured a bit into watercolor and painting... I have a blog dedicated to my few attempts. My earlier postings are mostly drawings. I think you have done wonderfully so far and the subdued colors in the still life (second photo) are lovely! I look forward to seeing more.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much, Margaret! I do admire the art that you create. The still life was an assignment in which we had to copy an Old Master, so I can't take credit for the subdued colors :) But I'm just having so much fun --

TexWisGirl said...

i love that you are trying so much stuff! you definitely have an artful eye and you're learning to communicate that thru your hands. Awesome!!! You go girl!

Margaret said...

And it shows! Keep it up, you are good.

Cat said...

Creativity is a powerful motivator isn't it?! It feels good to express yourself in new ways and see what potential lies within...proud of you for taking the initiative and for sharing. I'm going to check out the artistic journal class; it sounds fun!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thank you, Cat -- do check it out. It's really fun.

Linda said...

Beautiful work!!

Kathleen said...

You are one busy lady! Talented too, I enjoyed looking at your work. I can't draw a thing but wish I could.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

How much fun and these are great...I keep putting that on my want to do list and then life gets in the way.

Unknown said...

I think it is wonderful that you are exploring different artistic mediums. It sounds like so much fun, I may just have to follow suit. I have dabbled with many different mediums. The only medium I never really cared for was pottery, but than I don't like gunk under my fingernails :D

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Kathleen, I had never drawn a thing in my life until I started the first class. It's really amazing, how much a little instruction helps. Thanks, everyone -- Nita, at this moment I have glue all over my hands (and under my fingernails), but I'm having a lot of fun.

urban muser said...

wow, it's so great that you are trying all these new things. your work is beautiful.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love that you made this the year of the artist! How fantastic. And it sounds like you are having the best attitude. You don't care if it is 'good' you just care that you are learning and growing. I think that is the smartest thing in the world. Beautiful! May your artist year continue to be a wonderful blessing.

Debby Rose said...

I love the story of your journey around art. What an inspiration! And I love what you say about it's all about having fun. Thanks for a great post.