Friday, May 6, 2011

A Walk in the Garden

[Linkup to LEM Green]

I saw there were a couple of challenges today that looked fun, so I grabbed my camera and headed out to the garden.  My Japanese maple, growing in a half-wine barrel on the patio, is all leafed out and gorgeous.  It's had a bit of a rough time -- first it was on the wrong side of the house and got crispy from too much wind and sun, and then in moving it to the patio, one of the trunks broke :(  But Jana the Wonderful (who does my garden) bandaged it up, and now it's as good as new.  I have my eye on one of the small, lacy maples with really red leaves -- they have one at a restaurant near our house, and it's gorgeous.

My roses are blooming away, most notably my Joseph's Coat, which is the most beautiful rose I've ever seen.  The colors are fabulous, the buds are often yellow and then turn all colors of orange and pink along the way.  I love how the flowers get kind of blowsy-looking when they're fully open.  My Westerland rose is also blooming, but I couldn't get a decent picture of any of the blossoms yet.
 [Linkup to Fresh Cut Friday]

Here's another bud from the Joseph's Coat -- aren't the colors beautiful?

[Linkup to Your Sunday BestFabulous Friday  and Photo Feature Friday -- Vintage]

This one I processed with Silver Efex for a vintage feel.  I like how it came out.  And finally, not exactly an elegant view, but I like how the light was falling behind the house, as I looked toward the patio.  Again, Silver Efex was used to process.


Happy Friday, everyone!  Enjoy your weekend.  I'm thinking about starting a challenge of my own :)
 

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Garden Finds

Charlotte Wilson said...

I love the composition and the silver effex processing. you really did capture that vintage feel.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures... You should share them for Fresh-Cut Friday... your pretty roses would fit right in! :)

~Liz

Evelyn S. said...

Elise Ann....your little photo walk resulted in some beautiful gems! I can't wait to have roses to photograph...I just planted two bushes in wooden barrels... and my young Crimson Maple tree is barely showing tiny buds of leaves. Beautiful photographs!

Lisa Gordon said...

These are beautiful Elise!
I especially like the second one.
Such gorgeous colors!
Have a wonderful weekend!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Beautiful photographs...my favorite is the one with the silver effex processing. So atmospheric.

TexWisGirl said...

the single rose looks like a ripe peach! beautiful!

MarieElizabeth said...

You have gorgeous photos, and all unique with their own personalities. I keep trying to find that level. Well done.

Tara said...

Beautifully done, love the single rose!

Annette said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos. I'm in love with those roses!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much, everyone -- I truly appreciate it.

Laura said...

Very pretty! I do have to say, the Japanese maple does not look like a maple ;)

Costin Comba said...

the last picture is amazing. congratulations

Unknown said...

So many beautiful pictures. I think the second shot is my fav, so energy colored.

Andrea said...

Beautiful pictures! We are about to move into a very different gardening zone, and will be posed with many challenges in growing the plants that we've come to love. We're up to the challenge, though!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone -- Andrea, I'd love to be able to grow lilacs and peonies, but they just don't work in this environment. But my roses are doing great --

michelle said...

Beautiful photos! It is so fun to see what we can find in our own front yard. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful images, all of them. And the photo editing.

One Shabby Old House said...

Love love love the picture of the rose using silver effex....so please tell me please where can this processing be found?
Thanks
Becky

Tricia said...

Love your photos! The second one is my favorite...I love the colors. Thanks so much for sharing your post at Photo Feature Friday :)

~Tricia

Nancy said...

Sorry about your maple -- but so glad that it appears to have recovered. I've always wanted one, but not sure it would survive our harsh winters.

Thanks so much for linking up to Your Sunday Best today -- I'm so glad you shared your photography. :)

Jennifer said...

These are gorgeous! Thanks for participating in Fabulous Friday!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thank you all very much --

Buttons Thoughts said...

I love these shots I think the alley one is my favourite. B

Lou Belcher said...

I love the Silver Efex... nice texture and tone.

Lou

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Lovely garden and thanks for sharing. I love Josephs Coat too but do not have one, hummm? I am your newest follower. So nice to meet you.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thank you so much for joining! Please sign up for the giveaway.