Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Question for Everyone --

I'm sharing more pics from my Filoli trip on Thursday, but I also want to pose a question.

I have an event coming up in July, and I have a question for those of you who have had any success marketing your work outside the internet.  Has anyone tried to get your pictures into a shop or store?  How did you do it -- go down there with your work?  

 [Linkup to Weekend Texture Twist]

I'd love to get my work to a wider audience, but I'm not good at self-promotion and dread walking into a place with a portfolio.  I'll be showing my work at a local garden/antiques store this summer, and rather than just hoping that people will see it and be interested, I have an idea.  



I've had a very nice postcard made up with the date and one of my pictures -- how about if I mail it to a bunch of shops a week or two ahead of the event?  I'll write my website on it, and if they're interested, they can come by the event.  What do you think?  Other ideas, from those of you who are a step ahead of me?

[Linkup to Flowers on Saturday]
 

I hope you're having a great weekend!


18 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely texture twist! I've sold my prints at events and shops.
I like your idea, I always brought a tri-fold brochure with samples of my work and links to everything in it.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, that's a great idea, to have a brochure available the day of the event.

NatureFootstep said...

I´m very fond of the second shot.
No, I have not tried to sell anything outside the internet. But I wish you good luck.

Buckeroomama said...

The rich purple flowers are so pretty! I have no idea how to go about what you want to do, but I wish you all the best! =)

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks so much, everyone --

SquirrelQueen said...

The flowers growing out of the stones, I love that one.

I haven't tried selling any of my work but I know a few artist who set up booths at our local farmers' market and crafts fairs. They seem to do well. Good luck.

nzkiwigirl said...

Love your textured rose! so gorgeous.

Unknown said...

you have beautiful photos and you should definitely try to do something outside the internet,

deb duty said...

Your idea sounds good to me. Your photos are beautiful. My favorite is the second one.

LadyD Piano said...

I have 2 favorites, the Foxgloves and Sundial one... so lovely. Artists at our local Farmer's Mkt. sell their pictures at art shows in Laguna Beach and Santa Barbara. Displayed work is on easels, tabletop baskets and revolving shelf stands. I admire your beautiful work. Best wishes and much continued success.

Janine Bollée said...

Hiya Elise,

You said to me once that textures are addictive.
I thought to myself: What rubbish.
You were quite right of course :-)
I can't stop now and plain pictures look sort of naked and unfinished.

Know what you mean about self-promotion. Seems so fake and hokey, doesn't it? We need an agent. A collective one maybe?
A small commission wouldn't hurt.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone -- my fantasy is to have a little shop where local photographers -- there are so many around here that are wonderful -- could show their work.

I left a lot of my Filoli pictures "naked" -- kind of liked them that way. Go figure.

Jean said...

Few of us enjoy self promotion, but if you want to be found it's a necessary evil. I've even come to enjoy it at times.
I like your postcard idea, but I think you need to be more proactive about it. Send them out and then follow up by phone and/or a visit. Don't leave the followup to them -- people are busy and they forget even if they're interested.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, Jean -- good advice. I'll work on building my courage up --

Tara said...

Beautiful captures, love the first and last!

Anna said...

Thanks for Your kind words on my blog. Lovely photos and I do like Your profile words about Your self. Something I will keep in mind.

//Anna

Anika said...

I think Etsy is a great place to start! User friendly, no pressure... I love that as a starting block. You will learn a lot too about what people like most and that nature. Lemme know if you have any questions :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh such pretty gardens views! =)