Friday, May 20, 2011

Time Began in a Garden

Had a great time at Filoli yesterday -- it unfortunately turned out to be quite windy, which was a little disappointing for the photographers, but it was very sunny, so that helped.  You just had to have patience to wait for the gusts to die down . . . 


It's a huge place, and on Artist Access days it's almost empty.  One of the guys in my camera club counted 17 cars in the parking lot -- maybe 20 people in this place that goes on for acres.

They had gigantic foxgloves everywhere, really beautiful.  I took my wide-angle lens (which I almost never use) and got this nice picture of a group of them.  The pictures I got of the grounds are also taken with the wide-angle, but then I changed to the 50mm and 100mm.  I had hoped to take some macros with the 100mm, but . . . wind is not the friend of macro photography.

My favorite thing there, in all the magnificence, is the little vignettes that you can find everywhere.  Here are a couple I especially liked:

[Linkup to Macro Friday]


That last one of the little mushroom I love -- in the midst of all the floral extravaganza, there was one little mushroom growing where a wall met the earth. More will follow, I'm sure, but I'd like to leave you with one of my favorite things at Filoli -- the sundial that says, "Time began in a garden."


It was a beautiful afternoon.  

37 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

those are gorgeous, elise! (wind is not a friend to macro photography - truer words were never spoken!) :)

Margaret said...

I love each photo, but the last one is very creative. Excellent composition.

Barbara said...

I absolutely love the photo for GMYBSF. Gorgeous.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much --

One Photo said...

I love the last photo, just a fabulous composition and the shadows make it just perfect.

Anonymous said...

I love the wind... except when I'm trying to take photos! All gorgeous photos, but I think my favorite one is the pale pink peony(?): it looks like a spot light is being shown on it.

Happy Friday! : )

Linda said...

Fabulous and wonderful!!!!

MarieElizabeth said...

Gorgeous! I think the foxgloves and the field of blooms are my favorites.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone -- I appreciate it.

Michelle said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit. 'Love the dogwood (so pretty!) and the sundial. Have a great weekend. :)

Kristen Laudick said...

Gorgeous! Love the field of flowers!

Janice said...

Fabulous shots! Love those foxgloves all in a line.

Unknown said...

Seriously I'm dying front of this beautiful place. I could spent there for days just shooting and enjoying, really amazing.

FjÀllripan said...

What a lovely place to visit. Very beautiful flowers and I especially liked the second photo, lovely!

SquirrelQueen said...

I love all of the flowers but my favorite shot is that little mushroom!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone -- I love that little mushroom too --

Jennifer said...

That sundial shot is so gorgeous. Very glad I found your blog! (through A Rural Journal)

Unknown said...

terrific shots! the foxgloves are beautiful!

Live in the Moment

Unknown said...

these are fab shots, nice work!

Lou Belcher said...

Great shots... Love the Macro Friday flower. Just beautiful.

Lou

Unknown said...

Those gardens are amazing and so is your photography! thanks for the tour!

Nancy said...

How great to have access to such a beautiful place. Your photos are excellent, despite the wind!

Thanks so much for sharing at YSB today Elise.:)

Unknown said...

I'd be like a kid in the toy store. The Foxgloves are grand!

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful photos, looks like a wonderful place to visit. The flowers are gorgeous.

LBB said...

So many beautiful shots! Looks like a great afternoon :)

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, everyone --

Sandy Kessler said...

Some beautiful and unusual views''sandy

urban muser said...

these are all lovely shots. looks like you had a good day despite the wind.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Gorgeous blooms!

Please take a peek of the Flowers at my page. Have great week ahead!

Anonymous said...

These are all lovely shots!

Carletta said...

The pink rose and the dogwood are both STUNNING!
Carletta's Captures

Anonymous said...

Beautiful series of photos. Your patience was certainly rewarded.

Teresa

Unknown said...

So very beautiful. Gardens are among my favorite places to photograph.

real lady said...

Despite the windy weather still you manage to capture lovely snaps. Love it. :)

betty-NZ said...

The colors in these shots are just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! my favorites ones are picture 4, 5 and 6!

http://lighttrigger.blogspot.com/2011/05/sweet-flower.html

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much for your kind comments --