Saturday, August 25, 2012

Randomness Saturday --

Whew, it's been a few days since I posted.   I'll try to pull things together in a "randomness" post.

1.  Big news:  Jill and Paul over at Flypaper Textures have brought out their set of "August Painterly" Textures, and they're wonderful. Here's something I did with the one called "Bucolico," which I absolutely loved:

It really does look painterly, right?  I just loved the effect.  I have fiddled around with many other kinds of textures, but always come back to Flypaper.  They seem to suit my kind of photography, which is not the vintage, faded-out type.  I like color  and Flypaper has it.  They are offering a "taster pack" of web-sized images for $9.99 -- check it out!  One question for those of you who use textures -- do you have the experience that some pics (e.g. this one) come together immediately and beautifully, while others you just can't get right, no matter how many textures you try or how long you fiddle with it?  There is some magical synergy that happens with certain images, I think -- 

P.S. This is not a commercial message in any way and I have received no remuneration for it.  I just love them.

2.  I'm making tiles for Open Studios, and I think they will come out nicely.  Here's a pretty bad cell pic of four of them in process:

  
The ranunculus one (bottom right) didn't come out well -- even if it hadn't come out with a hole in the middle of the flower, I don't think it shows up well with the light background.  I've prepared some more possibilities with dark backgrounds, and I'll keep on trying to perfect them.  These need to have their edges roughened (so they don't look like a stuck-on square), and then I need to seal them.  Anyone ever done this?  How did it go for you?  I'll keep a record of how it goes and post a tutorial when I'm done -- how about that?

3.   I haven't posted many new pics lately, just crummy cell phone ones, but look out -- I'm going to the annual dahlia show today and tomorrow, and there will be flowers galore in my next post!!  Stay tuned!

Have a great Saturday, and also stay tuned for a nice giveaway coming up . . . 

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that photo w/ the texture is beautiful!

Jeanne said...

Oh i love your tiles. !!!!! How ever do you do those?? Will check out the new painterly set of these. Looks great

Evelyn S. said...

Hi Elise! I haven't visited your blog for awhile....trying to get to everywhere I want to visit just isn't working. Congratulations on your retirement....I'm starting my 11th year now after 34 years in the classroom. I can see that you're continuing on your wonderfully creative path.

Evelyn S. said...

P.S. I'm really interested in your tile-making! I'm not aware of Open Studios, but would like to learn more.

Anonymous said...

love the tiles! what a great idea :) congratulations on your giveaway at A Rural Journal. I'm your new follower ;) happy weekend. xxo

Unknown said...

One... I will check out "flypaper" as I too, love bold color.
Two... the synergy moment?
Yep, some images, almost literally, will magically appear.
No hesitation on my part.
Other images I can struggle with over and over.
Three... I have done tiles. Some I loved, others just didn't work.
I know to pick a smooth tile regardless of how tactile-pleasing those rough ones are.
I do file (the black nail emery board for artificial nails) the edges of the applied photo before final coating.
I had problems with bubbling occasionally.
Four... I'll be back (here from A Rural Journal).

Lmkazmierczak said...

Lovely creation...stopping by from Orange...Friday♫♪

Bettey said...

Thanks for participating in the first Orange You Glad It's Friday. Hope to see you back next week!

Sarah
Hood Photo Blog