Thursday, August 30, 2012

A new process and a little about politics (eek!)

Well, before I get all up in someone's grill, I thought I'd sweeten you up with a dahlia, processed differently than previous ones (are you sick of dahlias yet? :)


It's a gloomy day here, it's just barely gotten up to 68 degrees by 2 PM, so I wanted to do a less colorful variation.  I'm using two layers of one texture from Flypaper's new Autumn Painterly pack -- it's called "Antique Stucco," and I just love it.  I think the picture came out nicely with just a hint of color.  I'm not crazy about the dark/light background, but I couldn't clone over the whole thing.

And so . . . on to politics.  Probably my politics are pretty clear if you read this blog, but that's not what I want to talk about.  I want to talk about conventions and elections in the "olden days."

 (Notice I'm showing a pic of Reagan and also Betty Ford is in this picture -- love ya, Betty :)

Remember how the party conventions used to be a big deal?  How they would take over the prime time airwaves and everyone would watch and think about the different platforms and visions and ideas for how the U.S. might be?  When did a presidential convention  become an afterthought (I think it was going to be canceled for football on Monday, before Hurricane Isaac preempted everything)?  And since when did campaigns base their messages on lies and deception?

I know that the facts will be stretched.  Sometimes campaigns play a little fast and loose with the truth, no doubt.  But this?  When a member of a campaign says we will not "be dictated by fact-checkers"?  Huh?  That's saying outright that I won't be restricted to the actual truth  and I would be horrified no matter who said it, which party.  When did we turn into people who want to be fed a party line rather than having to read and listen and gather actual facts and make up our own minds?  Or are you all still out there somewhere (hellooooo . . . )?

Enough of politics.  I'm not trying to start any kind of a fight and I respect people whose ideas differ from mine.  But come on, folks -- can we get a little  closer to the truth?  And back to when platforms and visions of what will move the country forward mattered?

[Stepping off the soapbox now so someone else can step on -- ]

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

Nope, not tired of Dahlias yet and I like the subdued look of this one! :)
P.S. Thanks for the biscotti recipe link!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

You're more than welcome!

Ginny said...

I don't think I will ever get tired of looking at your pictures of flowers. They are incredible. Each one is lovely.

I too am disgusted by the convention. I try to watch because I really want to be fair and open-minded but it gets harder and harder.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks so much, Ginny. I haven't been watching in real time, just dipping into the videos the next day, but I find the whole thing so disheartening --