1. I'm retired for exactly one month, on Sunday. I'm still trying to figure out who I am now, working on it every day. I have yet to finish moving out of my office, but that will be done next Wednesday, lord willing and the creek don't rise.
This pic was taken a while ago -- by now the books have all been boxed up, but there's still so much to do. Come Tuesday and Wednesday, the big push.
2. I hate moving. Hate it, hate it, hate it. So I have not been a happy camper lately. I would pay anyone just about anything to get them to move for me.
3. I have the sweetest and most adorable cat in the world. Her name is Little Buttercup, and in the past 14 months she has brought more joy into my life than I could imagine. She's such a good stress-reducer, she loves me to pieces which is always a nice ego boost, and she's funny as heck. Here's Buttercup then, when we rescued her:
Buttercup at 7 weeks
And here she is now, all grown up and clearly queen of all she surveys, lying on my letters and a bag full of art supplies she "helped me" open:
Buttercup at 16 months; linkup to Favorite Photo Friday
3. I love audiobooks. They have gotten me through the past 7 years of a 150 mile commute, but I still "read" them any time I'm in the car. I've pulled over to the side of the road to cry at sad parts, sat in the car for 10 minutes after arriving home to finish a good part, even gone out for a drive because I wanted to hear another chapter. If you want any recommendations, I've got 'em. (Two words: Tana French)
4. I love grammar. It's a chicken-and-egg kind of thing: Did I become an English prof because I loved grammar, or did I come to love grammar once I was headed toward being an English prof? The trouble is that not everyone else loves grammar, and I never correct anyone else. Here's a question for you -- if I were to offer a course through community college extension or something like that, on "grammar for writers," not the whole kit and kaboodle but on the things that will really make you a better writer, do you think anyone would sign up??
5. I love Jimi Hendrix and always will. For a long time, I've had a vision of myself as a little old lady, driving down the street with "Purple Haze" blasting from the open windows . . . I'm not quite there yet, but maybe soon --
So there you have it. What are the five things you want to share?