Friday, August 10, 2012

Randomness Friday

I'm going to start something now and come back to it later - I'm off to a nap break because I didn't sleep well last night.

Anyway, yesterday on the way to the credit union, I saw this little heart on the pavement.  I don't know if it was a piece of wire or something off of someone's jewelry or just a random heart, but I was happy to see it there.


I layered it with a picture of roses and a texture on the top.  I especially like the bird poop in the upper left corner.  More on bird poop later (I warned you, this post will be random), but now I'm off to Dreamland.  

Later, more randomness:  Yesterday, I was having coffee on a break from my thrift-store tour, and being an inveterate snoop, I became interested in the people at the next table, a man and two young children.  Through the conversation, I figured out that the man was a doctor -- his very intelligent son (maybe 7) was asking him if he ever treated shark bites :)  The little girl (maybe 5) was also very smart -- they were a nice family group, and their conversation was lively.  But the man melted my heart at one moment; he looked out the front door and said, "There goes Mommy -- look how beautiful she looks."  I don't know why, but this just touched me so much -- I looked out and saw a woman pushing a full grocery cart, nice looking, certainly, but dressed for Safeway, her hair done up casually in a scrunchie.  I just loved hearing a man telling his children that their mother is beautiful -- even when she's loading groceries into the car.  

Even more randomness:  Last night I had a lot of fun going to a collaborative "chunky book" recipe exchange at the crafts studio in San Jose where I go to workshops.  There were  seven of us -- we each had brought copies of three recipes and we each decorated  24-4x4 pages with packets we each got and things we brought from home.  At the end, we each got copies of all the pages and recipes.  It was a ton of fun.  Here are a couple of examples (bad cell phone pictures, sorry):



And for my last bit of randomness :) -- I've been doing some genealogical research, and even though it's frustrating because you know your grandfather lived in Brooklyn in 1940 but why isn't he  showing up on the census, you can find out things that are somehow delightful.  On my son's dad's side of the family, I found out that a great uncle of his dad had grey hair by the time he was 29; when I met his dad, he was 26 and also had grey hair.  That just tickles me.

What random things are happening in your life?

10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that is sweet. i'm going to send your link over to clytie at random hearts. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you could get some rest.
I love how simple your picture is! it is beautiful.

Friko said...

have you woken up yet?

I love little afternoon naps, but if they last too long I wake up dozy.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, ladies -- yes, I was up to go to an appointment and am still up, but I think it may be time for another go at the nap -- I didn't sleep much last time. I'm a terrible napper.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
deb christensen said...

loved your random stories! and the bird poop!

Currie Silver said...

love your photo and the randomness of your sharing.

that is an extraordinary piece you shared about what the man said to his children.

enJOY!!

Folkways Note Book said...

Your life is probably random most days, if not all days. How can it not be. Life is just one big random happening. For me I sometimes get surprises, sometimes sadness, sometimes joy, sometimes love. I guess that is why some folks say life is edgy. -- barbara

Folkways Note Book said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carol l mckenna said...

Awesome post filled with wonderful photos and all ~ (A Creative Harbor)