Monday, August 27, 2012

A Mixed-Feelings Kind of Day --

Today, for the first time in 36 years (years as a student + years of teaching), school is starting without me.  I'm feeling a little unsettled.

I'm enjoying being retired, though I feel as if I haven't found my rhythm yet -- my list of things to do is so long, and I'm feeling like I'm flitting from one thing to the next.  Each day, I try to do something on my "house" list, art of some kind (today I'm going to continue working on my tiles), and some "family" thing (lately, it's watching baseball, watching football, and watching tennis -- the US Open begins today :).  I know it takes a while to settle into the new way of life, and I'm trying to kind of ease into it.  I'm positive I will adapt and really enjoy it.

 Still working on the dahlia pictures

But still, school starts today, and in the immortal words of Alice Cooper, school's out completely for me, at least until spring.  I always loved everything about school -- the anticipation of new classes, the buying of books, the school supplies . . . half of which I would never use (who needs a megapack of 20 Post-It pads?). 

 Alice on the Muppet Show

As a teacher, you have just as much anticipation (and just as many school supplies to drool over).  Will my classes be filled with wonderful students, eager to learn?  Will there be that one (or two) who will make my life miserable for 15 weeks?  Will they think I'm funny?  Will they like  me?


Every semester, I would check out the rooms I'd be teaching in (in college, they're always different), practice reading my best guess at students' names (a necessity if you're in the Bay Area), and have a few anxiety dreams, which in my case usually feature me standing in a classroom, trying to get the attention of students who are all talking and laughing and carrying on and paying absolutely no attention to me.

But this time, they're going ahead without me.  If I dwell on it too much, I'll get a little verklempt, so I think I'll go work on my tiles.  :)

Have a great day --

[P.S. I have not once turned on daytime television.  Yet.]

10 comments:

MarmePurl said...

Editing Dahlia is WAY better than daytime TV. Sending you warm wishes for the day. Keep Blossoming

TexWisGirl said...

i know this must seem so strange. but you will adjust to a new normal.

i LOVE that 2nd image. gorgeous!

Candy C. said...

Love, love that purple-tipped Dahlia!
You will get into a new rhythm before you know it and wonder how you ever had TIME to work but I know it's hard to adjust after so long. :)

Anonymous said...

Our semester started last week and oh how I relate to those anxiety dreams...I have them every darn semester at least a week or two before the semester starts ;)....and the different classrooms...some can be quite challenging...and the students...gotta love them as I was one of them once also. Anyway...I understand the transition. It was really difficult as a military couple to retire...the first three years were a struggle but once we realized we didn't have to pull up roots by the 4th year we began to settle in...and you will to...it is a time of discovery.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks for the support, you all!

Gail Dixon said...

That last flower you posted is AH-MAZING!! The cropping, colors and light are spectacular.

I'm sure you will get used to a new routine in no time! I am taking a year off myself after working steadily for nearly 30 years and I don't really want to get back in the rat race, ever. It's been 8 mos and I have not even been tempted to watch a soap opera. :)

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, Gail -- I actually haven't been tempted at all, well maybe except for Judge Judy or something like that --

Linda said...

Your flower images are beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me. Have a great re-retirement!

Anne said...

Retirement I guess is just as scary as anything we begin with. But I've heard it said that life begins upon one's retirement. Enjoy the ride!

Nancy said...

Don' think of it as retirement -- you will be busier now than ever. That's what I found when I started staying home ft 6 years ago. Love these photos, Elise. Beautiful! xo