Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tulip Mania


Who doesn't love tulips?  The colors of the flowers, the green speary leaves, the neatness of their petals, all combine to make a most pleasing appearance.  Tulips, third most popular flower in the world, come in 3000 varieties, some striped, some frilly, all beautiful and colorful.

Tulips have inspired many artists:  Jan Brueghel the Elder, Hans Bollongier, and the prolific Anonymous, whose painting represents the most expensive tulip sold during the "tulip mania" that struck Holland in the 1630's, at the height of which, a single bulb sold for an amount that would have "clothed and [fed] an entire Dutch family for half a lifetime" (James Grout).    

In the language of flowers, tulips represent "perfect love"; their black center is a lover's heart, "darkened by the heat of passion."  I love tulips; with peonies and ranunculus (oh, and lilacs), they are my favorite flowers.  They are extremely photogenic and lend themselves to the kind of treatment I enjoy -- here, I'm working on making them look like old botanical illustrations.  Elegant in their simplicity, they are beautiful heralds of the spring.  Stay tuned for more tulip portraits, later today.

[Note:  The picture is processed with Kim Klassen's "Chamomile," "Warmsun," and "Sweettreat2" textures.  Thanks, Kim.]

 

21 comments:

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much!

Lisa Gordon said...

I love tulips, and I love your work on this one!

It is so nice to meet you Elise, and i thank you so much for sharing this today at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much, Lisa --

Alyssa S. said...

Tulips are my favorite :) If you hop over and see my shot, you will notice we have the same love of tulips! I love your "after" results

Lisa Gordon said...

Elise - Just back here to tell you that I have an Umbrella Cockatoo! His name is Riley, he was 7 in Dec., and he is a serious snuggle muffin!! Oh, and he's LOUD too, but I am guessing you know what that's like with a Moluccan!! :-)

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

They're so loud they can peel the paint off the walls . . . we'll have to talk more about birds!

Evelyn S. said...

The tulip alone is beautiful...that color is amazing. Your application of Kim's textures is wonderful.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous Textured Tulip!

Unknown said...

I read that the best way to make cut tulips last is to trim them after unwrapping them and then plunge them into a vase filled with cold water and ice cubes. Kind of how to keep a new love from burning out right away - chill!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, Evelyn, Kristy, and Nancy -- I appreciate it.

Katy Noelle said...

VERY interesting! I'm glad that you found lisa and the "Creative Exchange". A perfect match!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks, Katy -- it looks like fun!

Lesley said...

This image is so beautiful, love the simplicity of the composition.

Anonymous said...

3000 Varieties? I had no idea... they certainly ARE a beautiful flower! =)

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful processing on that single tulip! I can't wait to see more of your tulip portraits.

Natalie said...

Tulips are my absolute FAVORITE flower! They are gorgeous! My Mom's is blooming right now but haven't opened up yet! But this is beautiful!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much -- I appreciate the comments!

Kim Klassen said...

wonderful... fabulous ....

xxo, Kim

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks for your visit, Kim --

Unknown said...

elegant, simple and beautiful!

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Thanks very much, Ankush --